Straight Blast Gym International Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Bronze - General Information > Portland Gym announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Important notice re piracy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

WebSensei

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Sweeney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Important notice re piracy
    Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 4:01pm
It has been brought to our attention that some of our members-only video content has been uploaded by a former subscriber, Neil Beevers, to a pirate sharing site. Up to this point, we have run this site without using sophisticated streaming technology, hoping instead to be able to rely upon our members to respect our trust in them that after downloading our instructional videos, they would not pass the info along to non-members. Now that this has been compromised, we are seriously considering alternatives, possibly including doing away with Gold memberships altogether, limiting video content to only our gym and ATG leaders. Your comments are welcome, including suggestions on how to remove the content being shared illegally, if that is possible.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Facebook Profile
Andy Campbell View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 9:03pm
That is a low ball move. I dont know much about computers but limiting video to gyms/atgs is not a bad idea. Or maybe limit gold memebership to people that have backing by a gym owner ie: calen backs me. Just trying to get some ideas started.
Norman Mair View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norman Mair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 12:22am

For retaining Gold membership for non gym/atg folk I like Andy’s idea of some method of verification or substantiation via an SBG established other.  For those who are not able to have such substantiation then perhaps a probationary period of a year on the silver membership.

As a Gold member who came on without such regulation, though I did start out as Silver, I definitely would not have had an issue with conditions towards demonstrating integrity.

Contacting the pirating website probably wouldn’t be to successful due to the nature of their business but what about a direct phone call/email to the individual asking him in a professional manner to remove the content himself?   At times direct communication can have positive results as long as one does not come across as threatening.

Sorry to hear this kind of situation has to be dealt with.  I have very much appreciated all that everyone here has shared so freely and feel bummed one person could frig it up for many others who would feel lucky to discover this site.

Matt Thornton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
All phenomena is natural

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Thornton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 5:21pm
I like this idea, what do you think Mike?
Carefully note that the will to believe & the wish to understand are two completely different things; & only one propels us forward.

J. Burchfield View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J. Burchfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 7:00pm
The gold member ship works really well for me-I don't think that market segment should be alienated.

The steps of having someone vouch and having a probationary period seem reasonable, would be a good middle ground between the extremes of eliminating gold altogether and continuing as things are and getting pirated.

...or we could dojo storm some mutha f**kas! :)
Travis Davison View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Davison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 7:39pm
Gyms and ATGs only. Grandfather existing members. Lets not train snakes who will come back and bite us. This happens enough alreadyAngry
Dude, I can't believe nobody picked the duck yet!
Andy Campbell View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:49pm
dojo stormEvil%20SmileI like it!
Steve Whittier View Drop Down
RDs
RDs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Whittier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 9:18pm
That sucks.

Does Amazon embedded video allow S3 video let you protect against this?
"That that is, is."

"When Mightyhorse rocks, he rocks the fat ass."
Mike Sweeney View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

WebSensei

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Sweeney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:27am
Steve: I don't know.
Matt: You have mail.
Everyone else: Stern%20Smile
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Facebook Profile
Nicolas Wachsmann View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicolas Wachsmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:52am
"Sorry to hear this kind of situation has to be dealt with.  I have very much appreciated all that everyone here has shared so freely and feel bummed one person could frig it up for many others who would feel lucky to discover this site."

I agree 100% with that opinion.

I´m from Argentina, I can´t put in words how helpful your material, concepts and methods are for our BJJ training. I haven´t a SBGI Gym or ATG to support me so I hope you keep this information available for us.

Sorry for my horrible english!!

Thank you for your time!

Best regards

Nicolás
Rob Whitney View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Whitney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 8:05am
I'd say if you want to be as close to 100% that no one can do this again you need to limit it to ATG/Gym owners.

Although streaming video can still be saved on your computer (sometimes it's just a file in your temporary folder but they also make programs designed to capture streaming video) I like this idea since it does make it more difficult for the average person to easily steal it (from a business standpoint it also keeps people returning to the website if that is the primary way for them to watch the videos) - I also like this idea since the master list is broken and if you went to a new system maybe starting fresh and loading all the videos tagged properly would really clean things up.

Also wondering if there is some clause that can be signed when someone signs up that basically says they will be held legally responsible if they upload any videos from the site.
Admin Group
Admin Group
All phenomena is natural

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Thornton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:00pm
I don't want you guys to think this is going to effect me posting any videos here. Regardless of how we work it, I will keep posting, we will adjust as we go. I packed all my seminars into this Summer, so I have been swamped lately, but I have some new stuff going up soon. As for Neil, well the UK is SBG territory as well as a small enough Country ;)
Carefully note that the will to believe & the wish to understand are two completely different things; & only one propels us forward.

Shawn Terrance View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Terrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Travis Davison Travis Davison wrote:

Gyms and ATGs only. Grandfather existing members. Lets not train snakes who will come back and bite us. This happens enough alreadyAngry

I am with Travis.
Steve Bazzea View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Bazzea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 8:10am
I will go with what Travis and Jehiah suggested: Gyms and ATG's only, grandfather existing members and vouch (with a probationary period) for anyone else who wishes to join video viewing.  Cannot be too exclusive as that may affect forum membership.
"Do or do not... there is no try" - Yoda
Jason Lancucki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Lancucki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 9:38am
What Travis said.

I'm for a little more exclusivity....SBGi all ready gives TONS away for FREE. (Matt,Cane&Martin's blogs, Steve W + PDX youtube etc..)

Not sure how one would go about removing content from the web....once it's up there...it seems to stay in one form or another....and even the sites with "sophisticated streaming technology" have been compromised (Marcelo, JJM etc.)

Edited by Jason Lancucki - 17 Aug 2011 at 9:40am
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
—Hunter S. Thompson
John Reid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:11pm
I always thought that the videos should be for gyms and atg's only and am surprised that it took as long as this for someone to take the piss. Jason is right, once the stuff has been uploaded to the internet it is already too late.  Just a matter of time until the videos start popping up all over the place.
Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Terrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 2:52pm
Well it seems a lot of the videos are on youtube on the SBGI channel. I am going through them and there is so much stuff up, plus more content not in the gold. I pay for gold for the reason that it is exclusive. Please let us know the path you are taking.

Thanks,
Shawn
Admin Group
Admin Group
All phenomena is natural

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Thornton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 3:01pm
Shawn, the only thing from here that I've posted on the youtube is footage that was posted here long ago. i.e. I've pulled some old videos to create content there.

Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Terrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 3:39pm
10-4
Pieter van Heerden View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pieter van Heerden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 11:34am
I understand completely how SBGi feels about the piracy, and I can't believe the lack of integrity of the guilty person, but I have to say, being a Gold member myself, if our video priviledges are revoked, it would be a very sad day for someone like me who have limited options available to be exposed to coaching of this quality.Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic